Yet another installment of what to do with your Turkey-Day leftovers: Have a Latin Fiesta!
Many of us will be watching the sports team of our choice over the holiday, and this could lead to hungry sports fans. Whether your team is the reigning National Champion (Go Heels!) or you watch football, the following Mexi Pizzas are for you.
Chipotle Pizza Sauce
In a food processor
1 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce from a can) seeded plus 1 tsp sauce, you can use more depending on your taste
1 12oz can diced tomatoes drained (reserve liquid)
2 TBSP paprika
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
Heat on stovetop until bubbly. This recipe makes enough for about 10 8in pizzas. It freezes well.
Chipotle Turkey and Avocado Pizzas
1. Spread pizza sauce over 8 inch tortilla
2. Top with shredded cheddar or cojita cheese
3. Heat together in a sauté pan 1 ½ cups shredded turkey and half the reserved tomato juice until meat ‘absorbs’ the juice and is hot. Arrange turkey over pizzas.
4. Top with cubed avocados and more cheese.
Wild Mayan Pizzas
1. Mash leftover sweet potatoes with reserved tomato juice in a sauce pot on medium heat.
2. Spread mashed sweet potatoes on 8 inch tortillas
3. Top sweet potatoes with chipotle pizza sauce
4. Drain and rinse a can of black beans. Sprinkle over pizza. If you have left over corn, add some kernels!
5. Top with shredded cheddar or cojita cheese (or soy cheese)
Bake all pizzas at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and tortilla crisps up. Slice them into 6ths. Serve them with a lime wedge and sour cream. This makes awesome hors d’oeuvre both vegetarian and meat-tastic for your whole family.